Friday 8 July 2011

My first sling pouch

Started my new sewing project 2 days ago using my fave fabric. At first, I wanted to make a iPad cover but turned out too small (anyway, I doubt I will ever use it to cover my iPad since I use it constantly), so I convert it to a sling pouch.
I used the cloth interfacing for the exterior fabric, so as to give it a nice shape and also add some batting so it has a soft cushiony feel.

For the interior lining, I used the grey stripes fabric I bought here and add a small pocket inside. For the pocket, I used the two side interfacing to glue the fabric together (so that both sides have the grey stripes print). Its the first time I tried using the two sided interfacing and the result is not as flimsy as I thought. In fact, its quite stiff and I had a hard time stitching the pocket onto the fabric as I had to push the needle quite hard in order to penetrate through the fabric. By the time I finished stitching the pouch (about 2-3am last night), my arms were stiff and my fingers were red and swollen. I managed to learn how to stitch the strap into the pouch without the stitches showing but its not sturdy enough to carry much stuffs. Also, I think the straps are too thin for a pouch this size (and also bit too short). Anyway, I just placed an order for 5 yards of polypropylene webbing straps from an etsy seller ( its cost only $10 SGD plus shipping, so cheap! ), so in the meantime, this is considered unfinished product.


 Nosy Poochi peeking in through the door.


Another set of fabric shipment I got today from poppyseedfabrics, The one on the left is from Michael Miller, Bikes in Grey collections and the other is from Riley Blake, All Stars. The prints are bigger than I expected, it would be nice if they are a bit smaller.

Anyway, last night, the TV was showing TrueBlood Season 4, episode 2. Firstly, I LOVE that show and I watched every single episode of it. In fact I was very happy that it was showing here. Secondly, I watched the first episode of it last friday and was very surprised that it suddenly switched to Thursday. Luckily, Hubby told me about it while he was flipping through the channels last night or else I would have miss it! Its the only thing I look forward to every week here....I wouldnt miss it for anything.




Cooked 'niong hiang' and stir-fried xiao bai chai with ikan bilis and mushroom for dinner. I made the 'niong hiang' some time ago and put it in the freezer, so whenever I wanted to cook it, I just need to thaw and fried it. Its very rare to find green veggies like xiao bai chai here, so its considered a delicacy.

Dinner for two. Almost everyday, I have to cook but I only cook dinner. Since I woke up late (as I sleep late) everyday, I just have brunch which is either bread or cereals with milk. Hubby eats lunch at work but he hates the food served at his workplace. He cant bring his own lunch to work as no outside food is prohibited in the canteen (coz its kosher) and lunchtime is the only he can get out of his office to take a breather and socialize with his colleagues, anyway the food served in the canteen are free.
Its becoming more and more of a drag to cook. I miss the cheap convenient food back in SG, where you can get a packet of chicken rice for just $2-3 dollar within walking distance from my house. There are 2 food courts at my house downstairs where I lived in SG, I dont have to cook AT ALL. The only time I need to cook in my house was instant noodles. But over here, there are no such luxury. Eating out is very expensive and inconvenient. Even ordering burger delivery on the phone is a pain as the person on the line can hardly understand any English. To me, eating here is just to fill the stomach and to survive. I dont even felt like eating anything here, sometimes I wish I can just attach a drip to my arm instead of having to eat.



No comments:

Post a Comment