Friday 22 July 2011

Fabrics, yummy fish and a whole new world of Applique

The two fabric packages I ordered from an etsy seller in China had arrived today! It came faster than I expected and the materials were quite good and cheap.
 Actually, I only received notice to collect one package but at the post office, turned out there was still another that just came so they gave it to me. Lucky~

 Got the macha-green sakura fabric (on the left), the newspaper cotton linen fabric (on the right), one yard of lace and one yard of ribbon from Stefanie Style

 I loved this cotton ribbon, just nice to use this to tag my projects.

Got this from another etsy seller in China Minnafabric, both are cotton linen blend fabric. The one on the right has pics of clover leaf and flowers in pots, and the other is a breakfast print.

Yeah, I'm glad my packages arrived safely and its such a joy when I received them. The feeling is like opening Christmas presents, maybe its the element of surprise (although I roughly know what they are) but its just feel so nice to receive them and open it slowly. Thats why I love online shopping more than actual shopping. Haha...  :D

Also, today Hubby and I went to the fabric shop in Rehovot to get some more sewing supplies. I have run out of the cloth-like interfacing and batting. Without these two items, I cant do anything. Sadly, the fabric flower class I signed up for had been cancelled as there were not enough people attending. 


 Ended up getting one yard of pink plaids fabric, one yard of red fabric with white poka-dots, one yard of raw natural beige cotton fabric, 2 yards of the cloth interfacing, some zippers, green thread and (yes! Finally found it) the black embroidery thread.

Got myself two yards of this thicker cotton batting. This is much more cushy and soft!

Such sewing stuffs are seriously not cheap in this place, people in this country dont really have a sewing and craft hobbies here so its very rare to found such stuffs in Israel (since all these stuffs are imported) I found that some stuffs are actually much cheaper if I buy from Etsy and shipped it over, than to buy here, eg, the zippers I ordered from a US seller Zipit, cost about $0.85 USD plus shipping, while a zipper I bought here cost about $1.40 USD. Sewing machines are even more ridiculously overpriced here. You can't even find them in normal household electronics store, I only saw it selling in the fabric shop at Rehovot. After doing a check online comparing the prices here and the one selling in SG Courts, I decided its simply not worth buying it here although Hubby keep wanting to get one for me. In SG, I can get a similar Singer sewing machine at one third the price and at a much higher model compared to here. It just makes no sense to buy it here, having to pay 3x more and getting a old model rite! Sianz.... *_*

Anyway, after getting my sewing stuffs, we went to Ashdod to eat fish at IDI. The fish still taste the best here. I ordered one whole sea bass, half fried and half baked. The skin was salty and crispy on the outside while the meat was soft and juicy inside. Nice~! 

Yesterday, I tried doing applique for the first time. Applique is the process where pieces of fabrics are sewn or stuck onto a large piece of fabric to form pictures or patterns.
I managed to make a frog from felt fabric and sewn in onto a piece of linen. It was fun and interesting and opened a whole new world of possibilities....this gives me many ideas on my new projects. I got so many ideas floating in my head right now and I cant wait to create them out. But I only got 1 pair of hands and no sewing machine, so its going to take some time before I can get my idea to materialize.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment